What new features would you like to see?

Make’s total sense why you built the logic this way to match the left-hand menu and is consistent with that while the right-hand menu is redundant in feature but not within that intended workflow, thanks for the consideration :slight_smile:

The ability to transform datetime formats, similar to the current Date Format transform, would be useful. I would have to look into how practical it would be to include time zones.

Being able to compute day or week, week of year etc might also be useful. But I think that is quite separate.

A simple way to calculate the difference between 2 dates or datetimes columns would also be useful.

I will give it some thought.

1 Like

Just to add to @Nicolai’s point about comments/annotations, one thing that may help is the ability to draw a bounding box and add an annotation, like an annotation markup viewing layer separate from the individual step comments with just a simple tool that allows one to draw boxes and add a comment on the property of the box that shows up when the layer is turned on - it doesn’t need to be smart or anything to know which functions are bounded, just able to be edited to change the box shape and move it when things are adjusted to cover all the contents the user wants to communicate. When I am prototyping out various transforms, this helps me both remember and communicate the logic of an operation, beyond just a single step. See pink notes below, blue represents the step-level comments. Right now my workaround is just using step-level comments or taking screenshots and annotating in paint like I did for this posted example.

1 Like

I have had a few requests for some form of annotation beyond comments. I will certainly give it some thought.

1 Like

Yes, along this line I’d like to add a little “eye candy” like:

Dark Mode
Change Color of Transform
Change Outline Color of Transform
{Replace|Add} Transform Title w/User Label

Unfortunately dark mode still isn’t fully supported by the framework we use (Qt).

I have been thinking about this one. We could add a colored bar or color the whole item according to the transform. But it isn’t possible to come up with 48+ colors that are distinct enough. We could do it by transform category, but I am not sure how useful that is. Or we could let the user choose the color.

Note that you can already show the contents of the ‘comments’ field in the Center pane by selecting View>Show Comments. The comment will also be shown in the tooltip.

(Per previous comment by @Adam, some sort of undo) If not a full undo (at least yet) a step backwards/forwards would be very helpful as a stop-gap. It can be assumed that this may break things with function settings, but at least it can put the transforms back in the order as they were if changes were made (maybe with some options in them nuked that have to be reconfigured) I noticed needing to make tons of copies to allow me to backtrack when testing workflows, workable but annoying, at least step backwards would help alleviate this even if reconfig was necessary.

2 Likes

@Adam

Undo/redo is now available in the latest snapshot:

1 Like

@Johnnycash

Undo/Redo is now available in the latest snapshot.

1 Like

@GLS
Undo/Redo is now available in the latest snapshot.

1 Like

Way to go!
:+1: :+1: :+1:
Grand news!!!

Cheers

Awesome, thanks @Admin! :grinning:

Great!! This are very good news!

@Nicolai

You can now add notes directly into the center pane. Please try it out and let me know how you get on:

@mklopfer

You can now add notes directly into the center pane. Please try it out and let me know how you get on:

1 Like

The notes and the undo feature are fantastic in the new 1.11.4 version, thank you!

1 Like

Now into the right thread @Admin. One feature that would be good on my side is a button to run the transformation against transformations running based on the output being disabled or not. Not sure if there are any plans to do this.

Do you mean to not process a branch of transforms if there was no output at the end, or the output at the end was disabled?

I don’t think that would work with the current design. All the transforms would be incomplete (and inconsistent) until you added an output. Also what if you just wanted to copy the output into the clipboard for ad-hoc analysis?

A better approach is to insert a Filter or Sample before the time intensive transforms, to reduce the number of rows to process. The you can just disable the Filter or Sample when you are ready. See also:
https://www.easydatatransform.com/help/1b/windows/html/how_do_i_handle_large_data_sets.html

There have been a number of requests to be able to pause/run transforms. I hope to look into this at some point.

I am not sure I explained my self correctly. I mean, to have a transform WITH an output that would just run if we click on a play button or something of that sort.

The sample activity is what I normally do yes. I saw this article before.

So the ability to pause processing? I will look into it.