What new features would you like to see?

@Johnnycash

Undo/Redo is now available in the latest snapshot.

1 Like

@GLS
Undo/Redo is now available in the latest snapshot.

1 Like

Way to go!
:+1: :+1: :+1:
Grand news!!!

Cheers

Awesome, thanks @Admin! :grinning:

Great!! This are very good news!

@Nicolai

You can now add notes directly into the center pane. Please try it out and let me know how you get on:

@mklopfer

You can now add notes directly into the center pane. Please try it out and let me know how you get on:

1 Like

The notes and the undo feature are fantastic in the new 1.11.4 version, thank you!

1 Like

Now into the right thread @Admin. One feature that would be good on my side is a button to run the transformation against transformations running based on the output being disabled or not. Not sure if there are any plans to do this.

Do you mean to not process a branch of transforms if there was no output at the end, or the output at the end was disabled?

I don’t think that would work with the current design. All the transforms would be incomplete (and inconsistent) until you added an output. Also what if you just wanted to copy the output into the clipboard for ad-hoc analysis?

A better approach is to insert a Filter or Sample before the time intensive transforms, to reduce the number of rows to process. The you can just disable the Filter or Sample when you are ready. See also:
https://www.easydatatransform.com/help/1b/windows/html/how_do_i_handle_large_data_sets.html

There have been a number of requests to be able to pause/run transforms. I hope to look into this at some point.

I am not sure I explained my self correctly. I mean, to have a transform WITH an output that would just run if we click on a play button or something of that sort.

The sample activity is what I normally do yes. I saw this article before.

So the ability to pause processing? I will look into it.

Yes. A little bit what the SPSS Modeler does in a way. You can define the entire transformation, the input and the output, but you would just run the transformation by clicking on a button.

The issue with that approach is that:

• many transform options depend on the columns available
  • a transform can change the columns available downstream (for some transforms you have to process the entire dataset to know what columns will be in the output)

So, if you want to add A->B->C, how do you know what columns are available to C until you have processed A and B? How does SPSS Modeler get around that?

I am not sure of what happens in the background but the SPSS Modeler doesnt need you to process the entire dataset to show up what is available in each node / transformation. I think, If I am not mistaken, that when you load a source the SPSS Modeler automatically reads all the columns and the first x rows of data (not sure if 50 or something like that) and takes assumptions based on it (this sometimes can even become a problem on itself).

@GLS This is now fixed with an optional Open Recent window shown at start-up in v1.12.0.

@Johnnycash This is now fixed with an optional Open Recent window shown at start-up in v1.12.0.

1 Like

I just tested it and it looks very nice!

1 Like

Working perfectly - Thank you very much for your fast implementation!

1 Like

Potential feature request if this doesn’t already exist:

Motivation: I am processing excel files with multiple excel sheets of different data sets with except I am manually iterating through a set of filter changes for each sheet (I believe this is beyond the batch system’s capabilities) and putting the output into a new workbook with multiple sheets to represent the differently processed versions of each input sheet. Kind of like a batch process but with a manual filter change also thrown in there. I am looking to speed up the processing for this semi-manual batching style process.

Request/Question for accessing multiple Excel sheets easily: If loading in an excel workbook for input data, option is given to select the sheet to use, Once this is selected, one would need to re-load the file to put in a different sheet as input data. If there could be an option to reload given a list of sheets populated in a pulldown, this would greatly speed up processing a transform across a set of sheets in a workbook with the same format and different datasets. For example once loaded, the sheet names would be visible in a pulldown. Selecting a different sheet would load that data.

Similarly if possible, in the output, if there were a way to select and/or name an existing sheet or a “new sheet” option and provide a name for it via an entry box if the file has sheets in it (i.e. not a new file)? The semi work around is the sheet specified name with "[]'s in the file name. This would make it much easier to keep track of existing sheet names to overwrite data in by just selecting rather than entering for each.

Longer term feature consideration: An extended batching capability could really take the capabilities of EDT to the next level for complex data sets. Potentially, If there was a way to enter wildcards/variable names in filter names and file names so that some batch script file can auto execute with these changes to auto-execute a work-list. For example: Make your design, add in variables/wildcards, click something to have the program generate a boilerplate script file with the variables/wildcards listed, add/edit in the values to process, adjust the script for what you want to have entered in the wildcards, and run the script. The program would just follow the outlined script actions on your laid out workflow or just fails with an error on the step that failed.

Thank you for your consideration!