EDT has a twin!

Well… Yes and no :slight_smile: Let me explain. We all know EDT which is a fantastic ETL. And there is another tool proposed by the same company (but not for the same purpose).

It is called Hyper Plan. Check it out here: https://www.hyperplan.com

If you are a Trello user you will be in familiar ground. Because Hyper Plan is not an ETL but a planning software. And the good think is that you can use it in combo with EDT. I give you an example:

2023-10-03_17-01-58

This is one card (right) from a dashboard (left) where I linked:

• An excel which collects the macro costs in place A;
  • A transformation from EDT that creates a CSV for SAP in place B;
  • An URL where I can collect some coefficients.

In fact when a file I grab has a significant name I use File Juggler (more information here) and when a file has a pointless name (such as “extract_week_20231003.csv - that our ICT does not want to change) I use Hyper Plan where each card has 1 or n transformations that are nested inside it. Then do right click, select the transformation, in EDT select the new file and you are done!

Moreover Hyper Plan is:

• Portable (I bought one 30 EUR licence and stored it on an USB stick, like I did with EDT);
  • Does not need a permanent internet connection (unlike Trello);
  • Is fully customizable (visit URL for more information).

Trello has automations. Hyper Plan has transformations. Regarding my daily routine this is clearly a game changer.

1 Like

It absolutely rocks ! It puts many many Kanban tools lagging behind.

What are transformations ?

2 Likes

Files you save when using Easy Data Transform (.transform). I cannot link a Trello card with a .transform file. While with Hyper Plan I can. I use Hyper Plan as a sort of “Launcher” for Easy Data Transform files (among others). It is so quick and comfy.

1 Like

I’ve been using HyperPlan for years. It’s my bills dashboard, always giving me a view into the near future and warnings for any bill that didn’t arrive as expected.

For work, sometimes I’ll have a set of things to do on perhaps 100 servers. If each step will require time and is a candidate for parallel work a CSV file preloads HP. Then I can walk the servers through the steps never missing a detail.

All that time, I never realized you can right click a card and see the list of hyperlinks. Some days I disappoint myself, which is like winning a Limbo contest. The bar is kinda low.

2 Likes

Ok, here’s another cool thing about HyperPlan. I just added a HyperPlan “dashboard” to my project notes, which are in Devonthink.

All the usual Kanban-ish stuff is there, but I also used links from HyperPlan to Devonthink notes.

But wait, there’s more. Sometimes a note or a meeting agenda applies to more than one project. Of course, you can copy the link to a Devonthink note into HyperPlan. You can also copy the link to a group.

Even more cool, you can copy the link to a Devonthink tag. When you click the link, you get a list of all the documents currently in that tag.

If that’s not impressive enough, you can copy the link to a Devonthink smart group, which is basically a saved search. And, of course, you can copy the link to a Smart Rule, which triggers actions in Devonthink.

Which means I can set up a HyperPlan card titled (in the manner of Milton from Office Space), “Ok, but I have to burn the building down.”

It could link to a smart rule to delete every document in the database. That’ll teach 'em to take my stapler…

Nice interoperability.

1 Like

This is a nice example sir, thank you for posting.

Indeed I also use Hyper Plan hyperlink feature to link to a Onenote page or a channel in Teams. It is more or less the same as you are doing. Last but not least, I also put in Hyper Plan some .oft which are Outlook email templates. If I need to send a recurrent email (with a code inside), that also can be hyperlinked. Very handy!

1 Like

This is how we convince @Admin to work on V2 of HyperPlan also :smiley:

1 Like

Indeed @prashant but @Admin needs time, ressources, what direction customers want and if it fits in the general approach of the product(s).

1 Like

We would love to do a Hyper Plan v3. But our resources are finite.

1 Like

Maybe sir we can isolate some quick-wins that do not require to rewrite all the core code.

Eg. today I can make 1 hyperlink between 1 card and 1 .transformation. Imagine Hyper Plan detects when it occurs and offers me options similar to the command line arguments or new arguments. Just a proposal.

This is interesting. I built a daily task planner for our company using gitlab and am wondering if this could replace it, as it seems to be more user friendly (less dev needs). Here is what what we currently do, so curious to see if this program could mimic it. We build “tasks” on a general task board. then we set those tasks to “activate” on a certain day. Example, every monday show task 1 or On the 15th of every month, show task 2. Every day our ops team goes into the program and that days tasks are lined up by time they are due. from there, the team moves them like a typical trello card from left to right based on to-do, in-progress, done or overdue if it passes the time it is due each day. Does this program have these capabilities at this time?

You can set up a view that will only show cards with certain property values. And you can change properties by dragging cards. Hyper Plan is very flexible and can probably do what you want. I suggest you down a free trial and play with it:

Hi Patrick, I give a concrete example. On the left image, a dash with 52 tasks (linked to the previous month).

• Top axis is: 01 - 06 - 12 - 18 - 24 - 30 (Eg. 01 - 06: all tasks that must occur between the 1st of the month and the 6th of the month, etc);
  • Left axis is: Data Destination (like Teams or SAP);
  • Colour of the cards : Data Source (like Excel or Outlook);

In each card there is a (last run) date. Eg “TASKabc - 05/10” (= on Oct 5th we run “abc” for M-1).

When you search (CRTL+F) “/09” (mid img) you see all cards (tasks) that must be done for M-1.
When you search (CTRL+F) “/10” (right img) you see all cards (tasks) that are done so far.

This way you don’t even need to move cards all the time. You can also put a red flag in a card like you do with an email in Outlook. Next month it will be “/10” and “/11”. This is 1 dash among others.

2 Likes