Easy Data Transform v2.15.0

Easy Data Transform v2.15.0 is now available for Windows and Mac.

Find out more and download the release at:

1 Like

The new file transform will be a handy thing. Years ago, I had to audit file changes in an application running on Solaris systems. There was an absurd pile of data files, each one a very precious thing. As I recall, about 150,000 of the darlings.

I used Python to walk the directories, stat-ing and creating an md5sum on each file before and after certain operations. It wasn’t quick, but being able to report with certainty was nice.

Tarring up the files for transfer to a Mac and EDT would be a lot simpler

On a related sys admin thing, the output from systemctl on Linux can be daunting. Run systemctl list-unit-files and then do a systemctl show on each unit - you’ll get thousands of lines of output.

Another Python script captures snapshots of everything systemctl can read, before and after some operation like a patch. The script has a diff option to compare them.

My coworkers all thought I was crazy until I started catching errors that didn’t appear in journalctl, the quick and easy way to find things that didn’t work on reboot.

Too much paranoia in some environments is never enough. :wink:

1 Like

I did think about adding an MD5 hash, but experts seem to take a fairly dim view of MD5 hashes these days.

Indeed. The project was so long ago, I don’t remember if md5 was still considered OK or if I just cheesed out and used the md5sum utility out of laziness. Md5 is still probably OK for getting an idea if a file’s contents have changed. For security, not so much.

Probably. But I believe there is much less chance of a collision with SHA3-256 and that is still reasonably fast.

We could add MD5 or Keccak hashing, if there is enough call for it.

Not from me. I was just sharing an anecdote from my youth!

1 Like