Deleting subsequent identical values in different rows in the same column

Hi, i need to delete subsequent identical values in different rows in the same column, if value in other column is x

Thanks in advance

Hi Antonia,

if I understand it right you want to remove duplicates in rows if a check value is “x”.

I created a table with a column “Value_multi” which have such duplicates. If it is duplicated in the next row and the “Check “x”” is “x” the new column “Value_multi_new” includes now an empty value. If you want to delete the rows you can set with the if transformation a special value and use this to filter (remove) such rows out.

I hope it gives an idea.

Antionia_remove_duplicates.transform (3.5 KB)

1 Like

If @Olaf 's answer isn’t what you are looking for, then please can you supply a simple input and the correspoding output you want.

I had to correct the Direction in the Offset transformation and now it fits really to my understanding:

Antionia_remove_duplicates.transform (3.5 KB)

2 Likes

Since you did not provide which column is representing x and how you get that x, there is no way for us to provide you with the solution.

As @Admin said, it would be easy for us to provide solution if the input and expected out is provided.

Anyway, what I get is that you want to remove the duplicate rows and in the absence of how to identify x, here is my solution to remove the duplicates based on the data you have provided.

Transform file.
DeleteSubsequentDuplicateValues.transform (4.4 KB)

1 Like

thanks a lot to everybody,
I want to delete all the identical values where there is no “abito” text in multiple columns.
tanks in advance for your invaluable support :slight_smile:

We really need a simple example input and the expected output. A word description is too ambiguous.

1 Like

Hi Olaf, thanks a lot for your support, I need to delete all the identical values in various columns deleting values in the rows where there is no abito txt in a certain column.
hope to have been clearer :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance

Thanks :slight_smile: I’ll prepare and provide you a sample.

I think I get it, Assume the column Check “x” as your column with the abitio txt. You need just to change in the if transformation the second argument form “=” to “!=” in the example I supported. And the “x” must be replaces by abitio txt.

Then I expect it will work as you want. If you are sure the abitio txt is only in the first occurrence then the infill transformation is the more efficient choice.

1 Like

here is the sample

col1 col2 col3 col4 col1 col2 col3 col4
abcdefg abc aaaa abiti abcdefg abc aaaa abiti
abcdefg abc aaaa
abcdefg abc aaaa
abcdefg abc aaaa
abcdefg abc aaaa
dadttg abcfg abcuy abiti dadttg abcfg abcuy abiti
dadttg abcfg abcuy to
dadttg abcfg abcuy
dadttg abcfg abcuy
dsds dfghghgf dsyrrr abiti dsds dfghghgf dsyrrr abiti
dsds dfghghgf dsyrrr
dsds dfghghgf dsyrrr
dsds dfghghgf dsyrrr

This look, like the abiti txt is every time in the first line, so use unfill and select the column where the values shall be removed.

Otherwise adapt the example I provided to the columns you need.

If you want to delete the rows with the duplicates you can add a filter and keep only columns where after the infill a value exists.

2 Likes

Thanks Olaf, that’s working quite well, but it also deletes duplicates where “abito” is not present.
Is there a way to execute a more granular and precise deletion?

but it also deletes duplicates where “abito” is not present

The example followed your first request, remove the value where no abito txt is … I struggle, for me your two remarks are contradicting

If it doesn’t fit 100% play with the condition in the if transformation

1 Like

[quote=“Olaf, post:14, topic:1118”]
but it also deletes duplicates where “abito” is not present
:slight_smile: excuse me. i was saying that if there are multiple values repeating in a serie where abito is not the first of the serie but is not even present duplicates wil be deleted leaving the first row where “abito” is not present :slight_smile:
dedupe should work only when the first row of duplicates is containing “abito”, if duplicates check column does not contain “abito” the corresponding similar values should not be touched

col1 col2 col3 col4 col1 col2 col3 col4
abcdefg abc aaaa abiti abcdefg abc aaaa abiti
abcdefg abc aaaa
abcdefg abc aaaa
abcdefg abc aaaa
abcdefg abc aaaa
dadttg abcfg abcuy abiti dadttg abcfg abcuy abiti
dadttg abcfg abcuy to
dadttg abcfg abcuy
dadttg abcfg abcuy
dsds dfghghgf dsyrrr gonna dsds dfghghgf dsyrrr gonna
dsds dfghghgf dsyrrr dsds dfghghgf dsyrrr

Here is your solution as per your Input and Output.

Transform file.
DeleteSubsequentDuplicateValues2.transform (3.8 KB)

3 Likes

@Anonymous was faster :smile:

But if you want to keep the rows and just delete some values, here is my solution.

Antionia_remove_duplicates2.transform (4.1 KB)

2 Likes

thanks a lot Olaf.
I only have to adapt it to my data file now.

1 Like

If you like to have empty lines, instead of removing them

Transform file.
DeleteSubsequentDuplicateValues3.transform (5.1 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! I have to understand all the process but is really astounding!

1 Like