Delete all textx after charachters

dear support,
I need to cancel all text after some characters like “|mailto:” with |mailto: included to correct wrong
emeil fields
Thanks in advance

use “Split Col” use as delimiter the Pipe sign (or what ever y separator sign ist). You can use character combinations as delimiter, too.
Afterwards you delete the original column and the second created one. You keep only the first resulting column of the Split Col transaction. As the new columns are added aa last columns you might need to reorder the columns.

2 Likes

Found an old transform file where I did just something like you intend to do. I had just replace real names. In the attached file I copy in a mail distribution list from Outlook as long and clean it up to the mail addresses before publishing it. In the bottom flow I keep the original values and store the Names (only) and the mail address.

Outlook Mail address cleaning.transform (7.8 KB)

It is some old stuff, you can optimise it in the clipboard paste by selecting for type “Delimited text” instead of “Plain text”. Which make the first two transactions obsolete. I would do it now, but the example is from the time when I started using EDT. Now I’m more familiar with the options.

Here the optimised version.

Outlook Mail address cleaning_new.transform (6.2 KB)

2 Likes

@ANTONIA
It is best to paste in a few example rows of input data and then show what you want them to be converted to. It is then much easier to see exactly what you want to do.

As @Olaf says you can use Split Col. You could also use Replace with a regular expression.

1 Like

thanks a lot olaf, I think that split column will be the easier choice.
I read something about regex but it was bit too complex.

1 Like

Regex’s aren’t for everyone. ;0)

Regex’s aren’t for everyone. ;0)

Correct, after you mentioned Regex I tried to change my transformation flow, at least in the flow here Split Col approach cost me 1 minute to implement. To google for an adequate Regex (I’m not a programmer) did cost me much more time. I agree Regex is more elegant and efficient in execution, but not in creation, at least for me. There are different ways to Rome and EDT has them.

EDT gives me as non-programer an enormous flexibility to do ad hoc analysis of data, much faster than with Excel. And with the batch and command line functionality a seamless implementation of production is possible to setup repeating analysis or transformation processes.

1 Like

@Olaf

I took data from your transform file and here is transformation with regex.

Transform file.
Outlook Mail address cleaning RegEx.transform (2.4 KB)

3 Likes