CLI input or user query

Would it be possible to add an input for a command line parameter? A typical situation is where I am using EDT to transform a security log into fields for ease of updating a firewall, and often I only want to know the last n days-worth of info but sometimes want the lot (the log can cover several weeks). So I would imagine starting EDT from the command line with the transform name and a ‘tail in days’ value which would be used on the output filter.

I realise I can do this by opening EDT with the transform and manually changing the filter to suit, but that doesn’t lend itself to automated operation or not changing something that works.

And/or… could a transform ask for user input? Perhaps a replace could have the ‘with’ field as ‘ask the user’.

I think the best way to do this would be to allow transforms options to be variables and then allow these variables to be set in the command line. E.g.

E.g. a Calculation transform multiplies cost by exchange_rate where exchange_rate is a variable that can be set in the GUI and overridden in the CLI.

This is on the wishlist. But there are various other things we want to do first.

A ‘hacky’ workaround for now would be to modify the .transform file (which is just XML) to the value you want before you run it from the CLI. But you do so at your own risk!

Your other option is to read in ‘tail in days’ from a separate file (e.g. a CSV file with that as the only column/row) and then use that in the Filter. See attached for a simple example.

show-after.transform (2.1 KB)

Thanks for the suggestions! A variable would be OK, and at a pinch maybe it could be an environment variable.

A ‘hacky’ workaround for now would be to modify the .transform file (which is just XML) to the value you want before you run it from the CLI.

Hmmm. I could use a transform to do that…